The Company’s Mission
To introduce the structure and commitment of a youth company centered around the love of the art of dance. We strive to positively lead by example and exude class, unity and strength. The Company focuses on developing technique and abilities through exposure to a variety of people, places and experiences while participating in multiple competitions, conventions and performances.
All dancers are expected to attend and perform at all events. In the event of an absence understudies will be used accordingly. The Company and Studio staff MUST be informed of any conflicts as soon as possible.
Potential Performance Opportunities:
- Theatre in the Park
- KC Dance Day
- Old Settlers Parade
- Fundraising Event
- O.N.E. Love Dance Convention
- Northern Lights Tree Lighting Festival
- Holiday Showcase
- Halftime Show at JCCC
- Innovative Dance Choreography
- International Dance Challenge
- Dancemakers Inc. *
- A Chance To Dance
- National Dance Week Kansas City
- Future Stages Festival
The Studio Staff Expectations
- Centralize all information through Email & Band
- Calendar of events
- Packing Lists
- Communicate to parents and dancers in advance of any potential changes or new opportunities
- Will work around school/team/family schedules and utilize dancers that can participate to the best of our abilities
- Required Company summer classes will include Advanced Ballet, Acro, Leaps and Turns, and Company Rehearsal.
The required Company Fall Enrollment classes are Ballet 3 or 4, Leaps and Turns 2 or 3, and one other class for the fall semester.
Participate in all rehearsals, performances and additional events.
Attendance at the rehearsal prior to a performance is required to perform.
Excessive absences (6 per class) or tardies to class will result in suspension from pieces, performance(s) and/or Company itself.
If absence from a rehearsal is unavoidable, dancers are expected to learn any new choreography before the next Company rehearsal. Dancers will have to reach out to the director or fellow Company members to be caught up.
- Any uncommunicated absence for Company rehearsal is not allowed. If absence or tardy, from a rehearsal is unavoidable, dancers must inform the Company director one week prior to the date of absence.
- Studio approved rehearsal attire includes hair in a clean ballet bun or french braids with any combination of the following: any black leotard, leggings or jazz pants. All dance shoes need to be brought to all rehearsals.
All Company classes and rehearsals will start at the scheduled time. Please make sure to be early to warm up and be in the classroom, ready to dance when class is scheduled to start. (Early is on-time, and on-time is late).
Every dancer is required to attend a minimum of one hour of studio time per week, in addition to company rehearsal to focus on company choreography. Studio hour is often the hour before Company rehearsal starts.
Dancers must check in during this hour with Miss Molly.
When the Company director/artist is working on a piece you are not in, you are expected to be cleaning other parts of that piece.
No cell phones are to be used during Company rehearsals.
New Company warm-ups include: black Company leggings, Company t-shirt, Company jacket, tennis shoes when wearing warm-ups, hair in a ballet bun and make-up. Studio shorts may be substituted during hot weather.
- The Company will continue to build a repertoire of works by professional and student choreographers.
- Multiple choreographers will work with the Company to expose dancers to diverse styles.
- Placement, positioning and choreography of a piece is the vision of the choreographer and will not be questioned.
- At the discretion of the Studio Staff, some choreography may not be used in any performances.
- Our year will be spent creating and developing a variety of pieces that highlight the Company’s technical strengths and abilities.
- If Applicable, Company members will collaborate and choreograph their own piece.
- We encourage dancers to create their own pieces; some rehearsal time will be allotted for the Company Director to assist/approve progress in the choreographic process
- At the discretion of The Studio Staff, student pieces will be selected for performances at numerous events throughout the year
- All costumes, music and makeup need to follow The Studio School of Dance standards
What to wear for audition:
- Performance ready hair and makeup
- Dance shoes
- Plain black leotard
- Jazz pants or leggings
- You will learn one dance off of a YouTube video. This video will be sent out one week prior to submission due date.
- You will be expected to film yourself individually and submit your audition video to Miss Molly.
Skills To Practice
- Chaine Turns (High and Low)
- Pique turns
- Pirouettes ( turned in and out)
- Arabesque turns
- Coupe turns
- Fouette turns with double prep
- Second turns with double prep
- Pique turns into fouettes
- Lame duck into fouettes
- Pique turn into second turns
- Lame duck into second turns
- 3-4 Pirouettes
- Turns with knees attached
- Turns with leg lift
- Attitude turns
- Saut de chat
- Hitch kicks
- Saute Arabesque
- Russian leap
- Stag leaps
- C jumps
- Turning C Jumps
- Reverse leap
- Switch leaps
- Tour an lair
- Grand jete
- Grand assemble en tournant
- Grand rond de jambe en l’air
- Saut de basque
- Sissonne fermee
- Grande Sissonne ouvert
- Tow- en l’air
- Tour jete
- Scorpion leap/fire bird
- Jazz slides
- Jazz rolls/pretzel rolls
- Backward rolls (with and without layout)
- Transport your dancer or carpool to all events/rehearsals.
- We will have a set fundraising goal that will be met by December. One parent will work with Miss Molly to ensure our fundraising goal is reached.
- Each parent will volunteer to be the lead of at least one fundraising event.
- All parents and dancers will be required to help with ALL fundraising events.
- All seasonal conflicts (i.e., sports, drill team, band, theatre), in addition to any personal commitments (i.e., vacation, family events) must be submitted ASAP. Any changes to your calendar need to be sent to Miss Molly via email by the first of the month in order to plan rehearsal time and performances efficiently.
Company Fees Include:
- Rehearsal expenses for the 12-Month season
- Guest artists/choreographer expense
- Group costumes are borrowed from The Studio Company’s Closet. All solo/duets/trios are welcome to borrow costumes with the permission of The Company Director. All costumes must be returned after performances to allow us time to clean.
Company Fee for 2020-2021 – $1,250
- One Payment – $1,250.00 Due on July 1st
- Two Payments – $625.00 Due on July 1st and December 1st
- Four Payments – $312.50 Due on July 1st, August 1st, October 1st, December 1st
Late fees will be added to any Company fees that have not been paid by December 1st, unless other arrangements have been made with The Studio Owner.
Additional requirements NOT included in Company Fee:
- Travel, convention fees, performances if funds are not available
- Warm-ups and matching bag
- Nude leotard with interchangeable straps (no plastic or shiny straps)
- Black bike leotard
- Black, ankle-length leggings
- Black jazz Pants
- Pink tights
- Nude tights
- Ballet shoes
- Black jazz shoes
- Tan jazz shoes
- Half Soles
- The Studio Running Shorts
- Company make-up
* Some of these items may not be needed.
* We will order them as a group if we decide they are needed.